Acorns Children's Hospice takes the issue of accessibility seriously.
Keyboard Access Keys
Instead of using your mouse to navigate the site, sections of the site can be accessed by using access keys. In Internet Explorer on a PC this is achieved by pressing the Alt key and relevant key on your keyboard. To open the new page press Enter.
Our Keyboard access Keys are as follows
0 Access Key and accessibility Help
1 Home Page
2 Skip Navigation to main content of current page
3 Site Map
4 Search Site Box
5 Contact Acorns
The Acorns web site follows guidelines specified by organisations like RNIB and W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
The guidelines include:
• Using meaningful ALT text for all images to provide descriptive text.
• Using descriptive hyperlink text.
• Avoiding the use of frames.
• Navigational short cuts for users of text only browsers and page readers.
• Using an easy-to-see web colour scheme.
• Using an easy to read font type, size and colour.
Acorns has worked hard to create a consistent and logical navigation for any one to use. We have tried hard to make our site easy to navigate without using a mouse and have provided several short cuts for users of text only browsers and page readers.
Changing text size
If you want to alter the size of the text displayed on this site you can change the option in your Internet browser.
To enlarge text (example for Internet Explorer on a PC)
• On the browser Tools menu select 'Internet Options'
• On the General tab, select 'Accessibility'
• Tick the 'Ignore font sizes specified on web pages' check box
• Click on 'OK'
• On the browser menu select 'view'
• Click 'text size'
• Choose the size of text
The Acorns web site does not use any browser dependant technologies and has been designed to work with a wide range of browsers.