1. Acorns have a limited number of trek places available on a first-come-first-serve basis. Upon registration for the event you agree to pay a declared sponsorship (minimum sponsorship) as outlined on the event web page.
2. All donations are non-refundable even in the case of injury and/or not taking part in the event.
3. Acorns Children’s Hospice is collecting your personal information as part of your application to participate in the Great Wall of China Tek 2025. Where necessary we will pass this information onto our event partners, The Different Travel Company, who will use it for the organisation and delivery of the event. We will not pass your details to third parties for marketing purposes.
4. While taking part in the trek, all participants are representatives of Acorns Children’s Hospice, as such we expect all participants to have consideration for other people.
5. By entering the event you give permission for the free use of any pictures or video footage taken by you on the trip for promotional advertising or other uses as deemed appropriate by Acorns Children’s Hospice.
6. All property remains the sole responsibility of the owner.
7. Acorns and its partners will provide a kit list pre event, it is the responsibility of the participant to ensure they follow the relevant guidance. This includes clothing and footwear. If Acorns or its partners deem footwear or protective clothing inadequate we reserve the right for you to not start the activity. This is for your own safety as well as the safety of other in the group.
8. By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you are agreeing to the minimum sponsorship of £3,500. By signing up, you confirm that you will raise at least £3,500 with:
• Acorns being in receipt of £2,000 no later than Friday 1 November 2024.
• Acorns being in receipt of an additional £1,000 no later than Saturday 1 February 2025.
• Acorns being in receipt of the remaining £500 by Sunday 1 June 2025.
9. Any existing regular donations which you make to Acorns do not form part of the total raised through sponsorship. This includes any donations made by a corporation that you represent. The only exemption is Matched Funding.
10. Monies reclaimed by Acorns from the Inland Revenue for Gift Aid (or any other charity tax scheme) does not count towards the total value of sponsorship you raise.
11. Sponsorship money must be paid directly to Acorns via cash, cheque, online via JustGiving or by card over the phone. Cash payments can be made in person by prior arrangement only. Cheques should be paid to ‘Acorns Children’s Hospice’ and sent to The Events Team at Drakes Court with a covering note detailing the name of the participant and the event name (in this case Great Wall of China Trek). Online fundraising pages should be set up in the name of the participant. Please follow this advice to ensure that Acorns can easily trace the funds that you pay in.
12. Acorns cannot be held liable for any cheques lost in the post, or monies paid to Acorns in any way other than those which Acorns has recommended. The amount which Acorns deems to have been raised by you will be the amount that Acorns has recognized as having been paid into its bank account by you.
13. Deposits are none refundable, however it may be possible to transfer your place to another participant, this is at the behest of Acorns and its partners.
14. If you have registered other people in this event, please be aware that you have accepted the terms and conditions on their behalf and are confirming that you have been given the authorisation to do so. It is your responsibility to ensure that the members of your group have read and understand the terms and conditions.
15. The level of real, as opposed to perceived risk associated with the activities is very low. However, the types of risk may be something with which you are not ordinarily familiar. For avoidance of uncertainty, environments & situations that you may encounter include:
• Rough / rugged terrain: this may cause you to experience greater than usual strain on joints & muscles
• Physical effort: our activities may involve you in a greater level of exertion than in your usual day-to-day environment.
• Height & water: whilst appropriate safety precautions are taken, some people can find situations at height or on water to be stressful.
• Natural environment: most likely to be a rapid & significant change in the weather, or unstable/slippery conditions underfoot, but can also include rock falls, lightening etc.
• Slips & trips: the most common cause of accident throughout society, the opportunity for slips, trips & falls is likely to be greater than that which you usually experience.
• Loss or damage: the environments and activities that you choose to experience may increase the potential for loss of or damage to your personal clothing or equipment.
Participants also have a direct responsibility for safety. Your responsibilities are as follows:
• Medical: please make us aware of medical condition(s) or injuries, past or present, which may affect or make ill-advised your participation in any activity. We can then agree with you whether or not you should participate.
• Fears & phobias: before commencing any activity, please ensure that we are aware if you have any major concerns, fears or phobias about the situation(s) in which you are choosing to place yourself. We will work with you to help ease your feelings of discomfort/apprehension/fear, & ensure that you are as comfortable as possible.
• Drugs & alcohol: it is potentially highly dangerous to participate in any activity whilst under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Acorns and its partners reserves the right to prevent any person participating in any activity, should we suspect that they may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
• Instruction: you must accept & act upon all direction & instruction from our instructors.
IMPORTANT: If you sustain an injury and are unable to take part in the trek, please contact the Acorns Events team in writing as soon as possible. It is important that you do not take part in the event unless you are completely fit to do so.