Care for children
Our hospices can provide a happy home-from-home environment where your child can experience all kinds of great activities, meet new friends or relax and enjoy some quiet time. He/she will be cared for by our experienced, skilled specialist staff who will take time to understand your child’s special requirements, listen to any concerns and adapt activities according to their needs.
- Enjoying a splash in our hydrotherapy pool or spa completed with coloured lights and music which can be used for physiotherapy and fun. Family members are often able to join in making this a fun activity for all.
- Experiencing the sensations evoked in the multi-sensory room with coloured lights, projected images, texture surfaces and sounds piped in to stimulate or soothe.
- Creative sessions/workshops such as art and craft, drama, puppet shows, dance and a variety of different music types. We also have occasional visits from magicians, circus performers, petting zoos and theatre groups.
- Each of our hospices, like most family homes, has somewhere for our older children/young people to relax watching flat screen TVs, or playing computer consoles like the Wii, Xbox, Playstation etc with games galore!
- Themed weekends are a popular event and have included pirates, food, beach party and James Bond as well as the main festivals and seasons. We’ve also been known to have girly weekends with make-overs and pampering. We will always try and let you know if we are doing something special that requires items brought in from home.
- Outdoor fun - Acorns gardens are well tended by volunteers and full of character with loads of different spaces to explore and enjoy. Your child could potter with a little light gardening, play with toys or simply sit, chat and enjoy being outdoors.
Space and time to call their own
Your child will have their own private bedroom when they stay at Acorns and each room has its own TV and DVD player. Each hospice has a wonderful selection of different DVDs and CDs for all ages. There is also plenty of space for those seeking a quiet spot plus storybooks and willing story tellers for those who enjoy a good book.
A great place to socialise and make friends
Often young people will book stays with their friends but don’t worry if they don’t know anyone yet – they soon will! They are also allowed occasionally (just like at home!) to choose some well deserved treats such as a long soak in the bath, a late night film and pizza or a lazy lie in the following day. Your child will also be able to use their mobile and laptop in the hospice or our child protected computers so they can keep in touch with their family and friends.
Sometimes we will arrange outings for the children. All venues are fully risk assessed and consent is always asked for. Outings range from a walk to the shops to an outing to the Sea Life centre or cinema or a bigger coach trip to the zoo or the beach.
We are proud to have kitchen staff who pride themselves in providing really tasty food to cater for all different and varied tastes including vegetarians, halal requirements, curry dishes and even American style dinners! Our staff will of course tailor meals to your child's specific requirements.