Gift Aid is one of the simplest and easiest ways of giving to a charity. It is a scheme approved by HMRC which allows us to claim an extra 25p for every £1 that we collect from the sale of goods you donate to our shops.

For example: If you donate goods at one of our shops which are sold for £20, these would actually be worth £25 to us if you sign up to Gift Aid – at no extra cost to you!

To be eligible for Gift Aid you are required to be a UK taxpayer and must have paid enough tax to cover any Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in each tax year.

So when you take your donations into one of our shops, ask to sign up to Gift Aid and help us make a difference to the lives of local children and their families.

Find your local Acorns shop

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I Gift Aid my donated items?

All you have to do is complete a single Gift Aid Declaration which confirms that our Trading Company can sell the goods you leave at the shop and we the charity can claim back tax on the sale proceeds of your donation.

How do I know if I am a taxpayer?

If you have a salary, savings in a bank/building society, investments or a pension you may be a taxpayer. Your payslip, bank/building society or investment statement will show the tax you have paid 

Will Gift Aid affect my tax status?

No. As a taxpayer any donation you make to a charity has already had an element of tax removed from it, usually by way of income tax. What the Gift Aid scheme does is give back some of the tax to boost the value of your gift.

I’ve signed up for Gift Aid on a cash donation, do I still need to sign up for Retail Gift Aid?

Although the principle is the same, there are additional terms and conditions for Retail Gift Aid, so the two are operated separately. You will still need to sign up to Retail Gift Aid for us to be able to claim Gift Aid on your donated items.

Can I Gift Aid my donations if I am a higher rate taxpayer?

Yes. You can then personally claim tax relief on the difference between your higher tax and the basic rate on your tax assessment form.

Can I cancel my declaration or change my personal details?

Yes. To do so just contact Acorns Children’s Hospice by filling out this form to update your details or calling 01564 825 093.